Senior Communications Advisor
Greenpeace is an independent campaigning organisation, which uses peaceful, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and develop solutions for a green and peaceful future.
The primary goal of Greenpeace Australia Pacific (GPAP) is to bring down the might of the fossil fuel order standing in the way of a sustainable future; this team’s job is to produce engaging communications that fulfil this goal. You’ll join a skilled, dedicated and friendly team of four communications professionals, working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. We expose environmental crimes, hold companies and governments to account, promote climate solutions and inspire others to create positive change.
The Senior Communications Advisor will play a pivotal role in the development and implementation of comprehensive and sophisticated traditional and new media strategies that drive our stories into conservative and mainstream media to shape Australian media narratives. In this role, you will proactively create and respond to media opportunities that advance our campaigns and organisational goals while shaping public perception on electric vehicles and the urgent need to decarbonise our transport system. You will also develop, implement and train a broad suite of spokespeople.
This is a 12-month, fixed-term contract position that can be undertaken full-time or as 0.8FTE (paid pro rata).
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
We’re looking for a highly driven and strategic communications professional – someone with outstanding writing and communication skills, and the ability to develop and implement sophisticated media strategies. You will also have proven experience and the skills to build deep and lasting relationships within the media and with our allies.
- You’ll also have:
- An advanced level of knowledge and understanding of the Australian media landscape;
- At least five (5) years experience in a similar senior role in journalism, communications, or public relations;
- A solid understanding of climate change communications principles;
- A strong level of knowledge and understanding of the media advocacy needs of a campaigning organisation;
- A personal portfolio of senior contacts within relevant media circles; and
- Demonstrable history in creating new media narratives and elevating spokespeople across the Australian media landscape.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- An incredible opportunity to work on powerful campaigns fighting for climate action, including accelerating Australia’s shift to electrified transport;
- A communications role with the most well-known brand in the environmental NGO space, and the strength of the 50 years of Greenpeace behind you;
- A close-knit and supportive team with a commitment to sustainable workloads;
- Access to and support from our global communications network, and the opportunity to connect with our team across the world;
- A great work-life balance including 35 hour work week, genuine flexible working arrangements and integrity framework; and
- A culture that celebrates justice and belonging.
Salary $104,932.82 per annum + Superannuation
HOW TO APPLY
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, People of Colour, women, non-binary and gender diverse people, LGBTQIA+ communities, and people living with a disability) often don’t apply for roles if they don’t meet all the criteria – unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements. We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested; we’d love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
To apply for this role please submit a CV (of no more than 3 pages) and a separate Cover Letter (of no more than 1 page) detailing your suitability for the role.
Note: Not all responsibilities and competencies listed in the Job Description need to be addressed; it is left to the applicant’s discretion which to focus on.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have current working rights for Australia.
We respectfully request that Recruitment Agencies do not submit applications for this position.
Applications close at midnight, Monday 30 January 2023.