Greenpeace is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that seeks to defend the natural world and its diversity of life. Supporters like you are essential to realising our shared mission of a greener, more peaceful future.
Circumstances in which your refund request may be approved
Due to the nature of donations, and the heavy financial scrutiny that charities such as Greenpeace regularly come under, refunds are given entirely at the discretion of Greenpeace. Refunds are assessed on a case by case basis, however, they are likely to be approved under the following circumstances:
- Your payment details were used fraudulently by another entity.
- Donations were made after you requested to cancel your recurring donation. You must provide evidence of the request and Greenpeace requires 14 days notice of request to cancel.
- An error has been made by Greenpeace.
Refunds may be approved for financial hardship reasons. This is at the discretion of Greenpeace, and the maximum refund amount we can provide is the amount of your most recent debit.
Refunds may be approved if you intended to give a one-off donation online but a regular donation was started accidentally. The maximum refund amount we can provide is the amount of your most recent debit.
Circumstances in which your refund request will not be approved
Refunds will generally not be approved under the following circumstances:
- A recurring donation has restarted after a period of being on hold, and you were previously informed of the restart date.
- If you are claiming refunds of donations made after requesting to cancel your regular donation but you are not able to provide, and Greenpeace also cannot find, any evidence of a request to cancel.
For reporting and auditing reasons, Greenpeace cannot issue refunds from a previous tax year.
How to request a refund
If you wish to request a refund, the process is as follows:
- Please call our Supporter Engagement team on 1800 815 151 during the hours 9am-5pm (AEST) or email [email protected] anytime. We will need your name, email, supporter number (CON-XXXXXXX), the date of the donation(s) you would like refunded and reason for the refund.
- Our team will submit a same-day refund request to the Team Coordinator, who will approve or not approve the request within 5 business days, based on the criteria listed above and other internal considerations.
- The team will contact you via email once a decision has been made. If your refund has been approved, please allow up to 5 business days for the refund amount to be returned to you. While the refunds will be put through promptly after approval, we are subject to delays beyond our control such as bank processing times and pandemics.
- If you would like to appeal the decision, please reply to the email or give us a call and our team will escalate your request to our Head of Fundraising.
Unless there was fraud or an error on Greenpeace’s part, the maximum refund we can provide is the amount of your most recent donation debit. Refunds are processed using the original method of payment.