Software Engineer (6 Month Contract)
Searching for a job that makes a difference? Come and help change the world with us...
We know you’re in high demand. You could work for an implementation partner or at in-house corporate. But while you do that, Australia is set to build the largest coal mine ever and opening new oil frontiers… all whilst climate change rapidly escalates.
So come work with us instead! At Greenpeace you are not bound by billable hours and targets, and you don’t have to sell or close. You’ll use your knowledge and skills to directly impact the team at GPAP and the millions of supporters and crew that hold Greenpeace close to their heart!
Reporting directly to the Lead Software Engineer, you will form an integral part of our Engineering team that promotes a modern, professional, agile software engineering culture (with stand-ups, retros, sprint planning, backlog grooming) dedicated to a green and peaceful future.
The Engineering team works in our Digital department, we believe we can use technology to empower Greenpeace to win a just and healthy planet.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role, you must possess a strong knowledge of web development paradigms and knowledge of modern (web) development languages. You will also have:
- A background in Software Engineering, preferably a Computer Science or Software Engineering degree;
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform;
- Experience with security and encryption, including key concepts and the use of standard libraries;
- Good SQL knowledge: JOIN, UNION, COALESCE, and WITH should all be familiar. Subqueries and views should be fun opportunities; and
- A drive to automate processes and make Greenpeace’s work more efficient and impactful.
Greenpeace exists because this fragile earth deserves a voice. It needs solutions. It needs change. It needs action.
Greenpeace is a non-profit environmental organisation, it comprises 28 independent national/regional offices in 47 countries across Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Pacific, as well as a co-ordinating body, Greenpeace International. We expose global environmental problems and force positive changes through research, lobbying and non-violent direct action.
Greenpeace Australia Pacific is an organisation taking flight. This is your opportunity to be part of a Digital team that is driven by the belief that technology can help us win BIGGER, faster and permanently!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A rare opportunity to take action on one of the most important issues of the moment — climate;
- Have the independence and scope to experiment, innovate and advance the aims of the team;
- A great work-life balance including 35 hour work week, health allowance, integrity framework and generous leave conditions including parental leave; and
- Working within an organisation that truly values the digital space and management that has a technical background (and has your back).
STILL NEEDING MORE? CHECK OUT THE INTERNAL VALUES OF THE DIGITAL TEAM BELOW:
- We care about the pixels and the bigger picture
- We are open and considerate
- We lift each other up, and challenge each other
- We work purposefully and impactfully together for a greener, more peaceful future
- We are revolutionary, we inspire possibility in the crew
* Salary – $98,882.35 per annum + superannuation
6 Month Contract, start beginning of February 2020.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Greenpeace is an equal opportunity employer with a longstanding commitment of providing a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of each individual. We recognize and value the benefits and strengths that diversity brings to our employees and the whole organisation and we thrive in an environment that encourages respect and trust.
To apply for this role please submit a CV (of no more than 3 pages) and a separate Cover Letter (of no more than 1 page) detailing your suitability for the role.
Note: Not all responsibilities and competencies listed in the Job Description need to be addressed; it is left to the discretion of the applicant which to focus on.
*Applicants must have current working rights for Australia.
We respectfully request that Recruitment Agencies do not submit applications for this position.
Applications close at midnight 13th January 2020.
If you have any issues with the online form, please contact [email protected]