Take part in climate protests around the country
15 December 2008
Following the apalling betrayal from Kevin Rudd yesterday, there are climate change protests springing up all over the country. They’re being organised by grassroots community groups who have asked us to promote them as widely as possible.
So if you want to let your outrage be felt, get out there and get involved. Or if there is nothing already happening in your local area, why not create your own protest. Grab a couple of friends and get down to your local MP’s office!
- 9AM TUE – Protest at Garrett’s Office – The Last Dance of the Barrier Reef. Meet Anzac Pde, UNSW Contact Tessa 0424 808 639
- 11AM TUE – Commonwealth Government Offices, 70 Phillip St, Sydney Contact John Kaye (02) 9230 2668
- 11.45AM TUE – Protest at Tanya Plibersek’s Office,
- 11.30AM WED – Protest Turnbull’s Office – Merchant Bankers for Coal at Turnbull’s Office. Meet at the corner of the pedestrian mall and Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction. Contact Mim 0415 529 342
- 10AM TUE – Protest Lindsay Tanner (Finance Minister), 102 Victoria St, Carlton VIC 3053.
- 10AM TUE – Protest Martin Ferguson (Energy and Resources Minister) – Member for Batman – 159 High St, Preston VIC 3072.
- 10AM TUE – Protest Nicola Roxon (Health and Aging Minister) – Member for Gellibrand – 1 Thomas Holmes St, Maribyrnong VIC 3032.
- 10AM TUE – Protest Kelvin Thomson – Member for Wills – 3 Munro St, Coburg VIC 3058
- 12PM TUE – Cnr of Collins, Spring and MacArthur Sts, Melbourne Contact Alison 0402 075 306
ACT – 12.30PM TUE – Parliament House, Canberra Contact Simon on 62476305
SA – 11AM TUE – SA Parliament House, North Terrace, Adelaide Contact Tammy (08) 8212 4888
QLD – TBA Contact Drew Hutton 0428 487 10
TAS – (Time TBA) – Tasmanian Parliament House Lawns Contact Karen 03 6236 9334 or 0417 555 309
WA – 12PM TUE – Wesley Church, cnr Hay & William Sts, Perth Contact Rachel 08 9225 5799
Over the past few weeks, hundreds of you have called Mr Rudd’s office to remind him of his election promise to take action on climate change.
Join us now and call his office in Canberra (02) 6277 7700, call his Electorate office in Brisbane (07) 3899 4031, send faxes, write emails, write letters, visit his office in person, go and sit-in in his office…. do all of this until he gets the message loud and clear.
You can also call your local MP and express your disgust at the Government’s pathetic climate target and the massive handouts to the big polluters. You can find their phone number by searching here www.aph.gov.au/whoswho/index.htm
If there is not an action listed in your area, call George Woods from Rising Tide on 0438 223 771 to find out about other actions planned or plan your own at your local MP’s office, check out www.stepitupaustralia.wordpress.com for more info and ideas.
And then in February, people from all over Australia will be converging on Canberra for a national Climate Action Summit. It’ll be a chance for people who are passionate about climate change action to meet each other, share ideas, develop plans and put climate change at the top of the political agenda on the first day of the 2009 Parliament.
We only have one planet. And we can’t afford to stuff it up.